[IN PROGRESS - Late Updated - 10th of August 2023]
This is a premium keycap puller, but for the sake of simplicity and airport-customs, it is also called the “High Precision Specialised Wire Tool with Elongated Handles.” There is no blade, and this is not a weapon; this accessory is a wire-tool used for removing keycaps off Computer Keyboards. The folding handle design allows for improved safe-keeping and minimises the risk of accidental damage to the wires.
When will it be purchasable?
I plan to release the first batch of pullers in August, 2023. This timeline lines up with the Melbourne keyboard meetup and I would like to have some on display during the day.
If the design is popular enough, I’ll consider in-stock drops every 2-3 months with different colourways each time. When I get bored and want to sell-out, I’ll make weeb edition pullers with anime waifus or something.
- Learning Fusion 360 [Zero prior 3D CAD experience]
- Researching Balisong designs [Squid Industries, ect on Instagram/Reddit]
- Planning hardware and components needed
- Rough project roadmap and cost approximation for feasibility analysis
- Searching Alibaba for manufacturers
- Blade and Wires [Enquiries for Quotations]
- Handles [Enquiries for Quotations]
- Order placed for Handles at a familiar CNC factory #1
- Handles [Minimum MOQ of 10x Handles purchased] [6x Black and 4x Raw]
- Handles shipped via Sea Freight with other Mechstock.com goods
- Started R2 Design - learning more Fusion360 [Lofts and Surfacing Techniques]
- More Research and Development [Moving away from Stainless Steel Wires to a more premium material]
- Re-designed Wire Shape [More rounded design to match the roundness of R2 Handles]
- Finished Rev 2 Design and ordering parts - Round 2
- Blade [Order Placed] [25x Silver and 25x Black units from familiar CNC factory #2]
- Handles [Pending Order Placement]
- Wires [Pending Order Placement]
- Hardware [Pending Quote]
- Boxes [Order Placed] [20x Black, 20x White, 10x Light Blue]
- Handles [Order Placed] [50 units]
- Wires [Order Placed] [50x Black and 50x Silver Nitinol Wires]
- Hardware [Order Placed] [Bushings, Washers, Pivot Barrels and Pivot Screws]
- Most parts have finished production and are shipping via Sea Freight
- Nitinol Wires + Handles are still in production (Will send via Air Freight)
- Nitinol Wires + Handles arrived to me in Australia.
- Blade, Boxes, Bushing and Hardware arrived to me in Australia. Sea Freight was delayed by 1 week due to a Typhoon.
Completed Balisong Butterfly Puller